Anemia Definition :Anemia is a disease in which the red blood cells of your body get depleted , the function of red blood cells is to transfer oxygen to different parts of body but due to the lack of RBCs enough amount of oxygen do not get transferred to the organs of your body which can make you feel like tired and weak, the cheer of life does not remain any more.
Anemia is of different kinds and has different causes of occurrence, there are different duration for which anemia occurs it can be temporary or for a long time depending on the condition and it can also be mild to the severe level. If you are also feeling that there is any sign of anemia then it might be possible that you are having low RBC count now you should know that what are the signs and symptoms of Anemia or how will you be going to conclude that you are at the risk of having this disease but before it I feel that it is important to know about the function of RBC or its role in our body.
There are basically three different types of cells which are found in the body have their own specific functions. These cells are white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. White blood cells are those which helps our body to fight from different types of disease-causing pathogens entering in our body. Platelets are another major cell which helps in the clotting of blood so that excess of blood does not flow out from the body in case of injury. The last cell about which we are here going to discuss is red blood cells, these cells are very important and appear red in color due to the presence of hemoglobin, the function of RBCs is to carry oxygen to different organs or part of the body. The hemoglobin which is present in red blood cells is a rich protein source of iron and binds oxygen entering from lungs and then carry it to different parts of the body then in return it also carries carbon dioxide which is exhaled out from lungs. The bone marrow part of our body is the site of red blood formation, here RBC’s are formed in the cavity of large bones, for the perfect formation of RBCs we require to have an adequate intake of iron, Vitamin B12, folate and other necessary nutrients or minerals. When the number of RBCs in your body gets decrease due to any reason then you are at the risk of developing anemia. Now, after it we are also needed to know the reason due to which anemia is caused by our body.
Signs of Anemia
If you are also feeling any doubt regarding anemia then below we are providing some typical anemia signs which will help you in analyzing your disease, so let us have a look at it :
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Shortness of breath
- Pale or yellow skin
- Chest pain
- Cold hand and feet
These above are some of the symptoms of anemia that can occur but as there are different types of anemia so these symptoms may vary from type to type. Now , we are going to discuss the cause of anemia and symptoms of different kinds of anemia.
Causes of Anemia
Below we are going to provide you some of the typical Anemia causes which are important to be known for the proper precautions let us have a look at them :
1. Deficiency of Iron
2. Chronic disease
3. Low red blood cell count
4. Heavy menstrual bleeding
5. Inherited causes
7. Deficiency of Vitamin B12
Causes and Symptoms of Different Types of Anemia
As we also told you earlier that there are different types of anemia which can be caused due to several different reasons so, now we are going to study about these different types of anemia there causes, signs and symptoms of anemia.
Types of Anemia
1. Iron deficiency anemia symptoms
Iron deficiency anemia is one of the most common types of anemia which is occurring in most of the people of the world. When there is any shortage for the iron in your body then you might discover iron deficiency anemia as for the production of haemoglobin the bone marrow in our body requires a large amount of iron content and with this the red blood cells are formed but due to the shortage of iron the proper production of haemoglobin does not occur and the count of red blood cells will also decrease in your body. The women who are pregnant mostly develop the iron deficiency anemia due to the improper supplementation of iron and sometimes various factors also result in the loss of blood from bodies like as heavy menstrual bleeding, cancer, ulcer, continued use of painkillers like aspirin and much more which lowers down the RBC resulting in development of anemia. The symptoms which can be faced during iron deficiency anemia are as follows :
- Hunger, craving or feeling of grabbing any strange substance like as of ice, paper, dirt etc this condition is known as pica.
- The curvature of nails grows upward which is also called as the koilonychia.
- The mouth gets sore and cracks appear at the corner side of the mouth.
2. Pernicious Anemia Symptoms
As we come to know that our body requires iron for the formation of red blood cells but with the iron it is also necessary to have the proper intake of folate or vitamin B 12, as this vitamin helps in the proper and healthy formation of red blood cells and if there is an excellent or shortage of vitamin B 12 in your diet or body then the production of red blood cells will also decrease down or it can also happen to some people that they take the adequate amount of B 12 vitamin but the processing of this vitamin is not supported by their body which can also lead to developing the vitamin B12 deficiency anemia. Another name for this anemia is pernicious anemia. The symptoms which can be faced by the person who is suffering from this anemia are as follows :
- A tingling sensation by pin or needle in your hand or feet can be felt by the person.
- The sense of touch is lost.
- The arms and legs started to become clumsy and stiff.
- Person can also experience difficulty in walking or a wobbly gait.
3. Anemia caused by the Chronic Disease
There are many types of chronic disease which one can face like as of HIV / AIDS, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic inflammatory disease, Crohn’s disease, cancer and others. If you are also one who is suffering from any chronic disease then you are at the risk of developing anemia as these diseases simply lower downs or interfere the production of RBCs in your body which results in anemia. The symptoms of this type of anemia which can be faced by the suffering person are as follows :
- On the gums you can also see a blue-black colored line
- Abdominal pain
- Leg ulcer
- Symptoms of gallstones
- Brown or red urine
- Failure to thrive in the infancy
4. Sickle Cell Anemia
This is another major type of anemia which is found in people. The sickest cell anemia is mostly an inherited type of anemia which comes from the parents to offsprings. It is very dangerous and fatal type in which the hemoglobin plays a detective role due to which the normal spherical shape of red blood cells is turned in to the abnormal crescent or sickle type due to the force of hemoglobin. Now, these irregular shaped red blood cells die very early even before maturation and can lead to the chronic shortage of red blood cells which is text major cause of anemia. The symptoms which can be faced by the patient with sickle cell anemia are as follows :
- Susceptibility towards the infection
- In children, the development or growth gets delayed
- One can also experience the episodes of severe pain that mostly occur in joints, abdomen, and limbs of the body.
5. Symptoms of Anemia in Women
Women are most prone to Anemia and for this, there can be different reasons. In some women at the time of menstruation heavy bleeding occurs which leads to the decrease in count of red blood cells as the lost of cells is more than the production which can lead them to the anemia and another major cause by which women can get Anemia is at the time of Pregnancy because the intake of iron and vitamin B12 reduced which leads to their deficiency and can cause Anemia which can lead to complications in pregnancy so we suggest you should have proper and regular checkups during pregnancy. Let us come to know about the symptoms of anemia in pregnancy which can occur :
- Pale skin , nails, and lips
- Rapid heartbeat
- Feeling tired or weak
- Trouble in concentration
- Shortness of breath
So , these above mentioned types of anemia are the most common type which is founded on large scale apart from it there are also some other different types of anemia which are found in the persons. Let us come to know about these types :
1. Aplastic Anemia: This type of anemia is very rare and do not found easily but it is the most dangerous and life-threatening type of anemia. It usually occurs when your body is not capable of forming the desired or required amount of red blood cells which automatically leads to the chronic shortage of red blood cells. This less production of RBCs can lead to the aplastic anemia and it is mostly caused by the infections , autoimmune diseases, certain medicines or exposure to body with toxin chemicals.
2. Anemia caused due to the bone marrow disease: As we know that the Red blood cells are formed by the bone marrow but when you got any disease in the bone marrow of your body then it can also lead you towards the anemia. There are various bone marrow diseases like as of leukemia and myelofibrosis which directly affects the formation or production of hemoglobin from the bone marrow. This adverse effect is a type of cancer and creates disorder in the body which can be from mild to the fatal that means can also cause death.
3. Hemolytic anemia: Now , another type of anemia in this list is hemolytic anemia. When the destroy rate of red blood cells from the body is higher than the formation of red blood cells by bone marrow , in that situation you can develop hemolytic Anemia. There is various kind of blood disease which can lead to the destruction of red blood cells before there natural lifespan or the hemolytic Anemia can also be inherited from parents to offsprings.
So , these above were some of the rare forms of anemia which can be developed due to different reasons apart from them there are also some other forms of it whose reason is still not verified like as of malarial anemia or thalassemia.
There are various different reasons due to which one can develop anemia depending on the situation and the of it. As we told you that there are different kinds of anemia having different symptoms , we have also provided you the common symptoms of anemia which are generally faced with each type of it. Although anemia is not a fatal or complicated disease if proper precautions and treatment are taken a small mistake can lead to its complications which can also be death causing. So , we recommend you that if any of the symptoms are seen in your body you should immediately contact to your doctor and have a proper check up before its been too late as at the early stages it is possible to cure it. You should also take a proper diet which is full of nutrients and vitamins required by our body for the adequate and healthy production of red blood cells by bone marrow.
If you know that there is any family history or genetical inheritances of anemia then contact your doctor and follow his advice to be prevented from any further complication of anemia. The more risk of developing anemia is mostly faced by the pregnant women , women having heavy menstrual bleeding, people suffering from chronic disease , lack of vitamins etc so if any of these cases are with you then take extra care and guidance of your doctor , as old sayings are health is wealth so take care of your health and stay healthy life long.